RAW COCOA BUTTER
When one thinks about Cocoa butter, the thought of the rich chocolatey scent comes to mid. In this article, we will take a deeper look at cocoa butter as used for skin, hair, and in beauty products. Continue reading to learn more about why you should definitely have some AFRIKINKY Cocoa Butter among your cosmetic collection.
WHAT IS COCOA BUTTER?
Cocoa butter is an edible plant-based fat that is harnessed from the Cocoa bean. Theobroma Cacao, also known commonly as a Cocoa tree is the tree that produces the Cocoa beans that are used to make Cocoa butter, it’s been grown in the wet tropical areas of West Africa. It has a pale yellow color similar to Shea butter. Similar to how Shea butter is extracted from Shea nuts, Cocoa butter is extracted from Cocoa beans. But unlike Shea butter, Cocoa butter has a yummy natural chocolate scent that makes you want to eat it.
Refined Cocoa butter is stripped of its color and chocolaty scent and mixed with other additives, but at Afrikinky, our Cocoa butter is raw and has a chocolatey scent. To be certain of the type of cocoa butter you are purchasing, be sure to read the label to confirm.
Cocoa butter has been used for ages in high-quality cosmetics, it is used by African women and found in skincare products worldwide as it’s been accepted throughout the globe in recent years due to its benefits.
HOW IT IS MADE
Cocoa butter is fat pressed from the beans of the Cocoa tree either with an expeller, hydraulic press, etc. After removing the beans from their shell, they are thoroughly cleaned, roasted, and ground into a paste form, the oil is then pressed to extract the fat and left to solidify into big chunks.
Raw Cocoa butter usually comes in a solid and hard state but melts at body temperature. It needs to be melted to be used in DIY recipes.
BENEFITS OF COCOA BUTTER
Cocoa butter especially in its raw state is versatile, and can be used for skin, hair and because it is edible, it can also be used for cooking. It is high in fatty acids (stearic acid, oleic acid), contains antioxidants, vitamins E & K, and anti-inflammatory properties. The benefits of Cocoa butter are as follows:
- High in fatty acids; it helps create a protective skin barrier increasing the ability to lock in moisture. This makes it ideal for hydrating and nourishing the skin to improve the elasticity of the skin.
- Its anti-inflammatory nature makes it effective in reducing flares and rashes caused by skin conditions like eczema, sensitive skin, and dry skin. It may also aid in the treatments of dark circle patches under the eyes.
- Rich in antioxidants that protect the skin against damage caused by environmental and lifestyle factors such as pollution, UV rays, and stress.
- Daily use of cocoa butter can help to fade dark spots and smooth rough patches of skin such as the skin found on the elbows, knees, feet, and hands.
- Studies have found out that compounds known as mass polyphenols found in cocoa butter can help diminish signs of aging, plus soothe sensitive skin suffering from skin rashes.
- Provides an excellent emollient, improves the texture of the scar, and restores the layer beneath the surface with moisture, where the scar needs it most.
- Relieves chapped lips; helps treat mouth sores or prevents the development of painful lips blisters from recurring as the Cocoa butter keeps the lips moisturized.
- Can be used as an aftershave for the skin to keep it moisturized.
- Can also be used as a substitute oil for the preparations of vegan meals
- Help harden soap bars making them last longer.
NB: Cocoa butter is highly comedogenic and may not be best for your face because it can clog your pores.
- Cocoa butter can help moisturize hair strands and the scalp, deep conditions, and prevents frizz.
- Makes hair more manageable
- Prevents hair loss due to breakage
Strengthens the hair shaft
- Replenishes oils lost due to chemical processes
- Adds volume and strength to fine hair.
SIMPLE COCOA BUTTER DIY
(BOTH HAIR AND SKIN)
- 2 tbsp of Afrikinky Cocoa Butter
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of jojoba oil
- Melt the cocoa butter and coconut oil together in a double boiler.
- After the cocoa butter and coconut oil have completely melted add jojoba oil and mix.
- Allow the mixture to cool until it begins to solidify.
- Once it becomes completely solid, whip it until it acquires a whipped cream texture. This may take about 5 minutes of constant whipping.
- This is a wonderful beauty recipe ready to be used on any part of your body, including hair.
- Wash your hair with any normal shampoo and use a tiny portion of this mixture as a conditioner. Leave it on for 3 minutes and rinse.
Note: This mixture also works as a great after-shower body moisturizer for dry skin.
Shop our other collection of products which include Shea butter, Shea soap, African Black soap, Shea oil, Neem oil. Neem powder, Moringa powder, Hibiscus powder, and Baobab powder.